Literally every cell in the body needs proper nutrition or it will die. There are billions of cells involved in the processes of digestion, absorption and elimination of foods, not including the nutritional demands of human movement. Yet as indicated above, 90% of all the money spent on food in the US is spent on FAST FOODS! So where does that leave you?
Consider Your Body As A Business
We don't need to be a doctor, nutritionist or research scientist to figure out what's going on. We can use a simple accounting analogy to get a clear image of the blunder we have purchased our way into. Consider your body as a business. It costs money to run a business - you must purchase goods and services such as supplies, electricity, water, waste disposal and you must pay your workers. If your business doesn't bring in enough money to pay your expenses, including adequate money for you to make a living, the business will go bankrupt!
Your body is just like any business. You have about 100 trillion cells, all of which are like little employees working for you around the clock. To keep your body running, it too needs water, air, energy and supplies in the form of nutrition. The business of running a body is also a little tricky because while you may have an unproductive employee now and then in a business, you can always lay them off or fire them. In your body, you can't lay your cells off, you can't fire them, and if you don't supply them with adequate nutrition to repair themselves, they get sick and start to die. If this goes on long enough, you too will go bankrupt and you will die!
Now, just look at the statistics for disease and drug-use in this country and you will get a very good picture of what happens when you consume a diet of "non-foods" - foods that take more out of your bodily bank account than you have in the account to spend. Literally every time you eat candy, cookies, soda pop, processed sandwich meats, white bread, white flower or pasteurized, processed anything, you are deviating away from the dietary plan the human body was designed for. You are also spending more money/nutrition to process garbage disguised as foods than the foods themselves bring in. This leaves the body no choice but to draw upon your own tissues for the nutrients it needs to try and survive. To prove my point, one need only look at the skyrocketing rates of degenerative diseases, which are highest - you guessed it - in those countries consuming the highest percentage of processed foods.
"This leaves the body no choice but to draw upon your own tissues for the nutrients it needs to try and survive"
- If you can't pronounce a word on the label, don't eat it! If you can't pronounce a word on a food label, chances are very good it is a chemical that your liver will have to work to detoxify, and most likely, your liver won't like it! Dr. Price found in his research of healthy people that they ate mostly unprocessed whole-foods and some minimally processed foods. They lived in accordance with nature and if you want to have a beautiful, healthy body, you should too!
- If it's a non-food, don't eat it! The more non-foods you eat, the more likely your body is to go bankrupt! Remember, food manufacturers are NOT required to prove that their products sustain life. Pretty much every research dollar they spend is to determine how to make foods cheaper, increase shelf life and how to trick you into buying them. Just remember this Paul Chek rule - "The more money they spend to market any food, the worse it is likely to be for you"! Good healthy food requires little marketing because people know it's good for you. They need to convince you to eat their garbage, so they need to spend a lot in marketing to ensure you do.
- The longer it lasts on the shelf, the worse it is for you! Most things in nature will not last more than a few days once picked or killed for consumption. Increasing a product's shelf life means stripping it of anything that can eventually go bad or rancid out of it, such as enzymes, vitamins, minerals and ultimately it's life force! Many of the foods you eat today are so full of chemicals and pesticide residues you can leave them sitting on the kitchen counter for days on end and the ants won't even touch them! The bugs are smarter than we are!
- Never eat anything with "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated oils/fats" in it! These are cooked fats that have been altered in a way that make them very hard to digest, as well as being damaging to the body. This form of fat does not occur naturally in nature and in fact, chemists say the molecular structure of hydrogenated fats more closely resembles plastic than food! Read your food labels and you will likely be surprised at how much hydrogenate fats and oils you are eating!
- Never eat any food product that has been "enriched"! The only reason food manufacturers "enrich" foods is because they have completely killed and stripped them in processing, leaving the foods so void of nutrition and life-force that they must add things back to them so they don't kill off all their customers! If you read "Beating The Food Giants" by food scientist Paul A. Stitt, he tells you that the food manufacturers purchase the cheapest possible synthetic vitamins possible and they often apply them to foods (i.e. cereals) on the way in the oven! Any nutrition expert will tell you that most vitamins can't withstand high heat and most of the rigors of processing. There is also plenty of literature suggesting that some synthetic vitamins may be toxic to the body!
- Avoid eating anything that has been genetically modified or genetically engineered! Currently, almost ALL processed foods contain genetically modified organisms. This is an entire topic unto itself, but eating any genetically modified food is a risk that you may want to seriously consider if you value your health.
- Dworkin, A. and Kella, W. "Thriving in a Toxic World." Olivenhain, CA: Professional Preference, 1996.
- Farlow, C.H. "Food Additives: A Shopper's Guide to What's Safe and What's Not". KISS For Health Publishing, 2001.
- Schiosser E. "Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal". New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin, 2001.
- Stitt, P. "Beating the Food Giants". Natural Press; 1993.
- The Ecologist, July/August 2000. News In Brief p.10
- The Ecologist June 2001. "Pulling A Fast One", by Ian Elliott p.36
- Chek, P. "Under the Veil of Deception". Encinitas, CA: A C.H.E.K Institute Publication, 2002.
- Prescription Drug Sales Increased By Nearly 20% Last Year in US. http://www.mercola.com/2001/may/19/prescription_drugs.htm
- US Drug Sales Up 15% Last Year. Reuters June 2, 2001. Prescription Drugs and Mass Media Advertising 1999-2000. National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation
- Price, Weston. "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration". Price-Pottenger Foundation, 1945
- Fallon S and Enig M. "Nourishing Traditions." 2nd ed. Washington DC: New Trends Publishing, 1999.
About Paul Chek
Paul Chek is licensed as a Holistic Health Practitioner (California) and holds the following Certifications: Certified Neuromuscular Therapist, Clinical Exercise Specialist (ACE).
He is a prominent expert in the field of holistic health and corrective and high-performance exercise. For over twenty years, Paul's unique, holistic approach to treatment and education has changed the lives of many. By treating the body as a whole system and finding the root cause of a problem, he has successfully coached clients toward complete resolution of their health and performance challenges. Paul is the founder of the C.H.E.K Institute, based in California.
Visit the Author's website at: www.chekinstitute.com
More Like This
Results Women Want also by Paul Chek
High Protein Diets by Brad Schoenfeld
The Healing Power of Your Next Meal by Charles Remington
Sugar Wars by Al Valente
2005 MyPyramid: What the USDA Won’t Tell You by Bonnie Minsky
Back to Articles About Nutrition